How do you look at caste in your lives and how do you see it enfolding in the future?
Castes have origin theories. Some theories explain the emergence and
justifying is existence in the old times. However, none of those theories
present a strong case for the caste system’s practice in modern times. It is
an argument proven more than enough number of times that the caste
system is unjust and unfair. Higher levels of education and an increasingly
open culture around us made the caste divide blurry. When I look around,
and I only speak for myself, I do not see a brahmin, a kshatriya or a shudra
for that matter. Ours is an “intellectual” and “progressively intercultural”
community. We celebrate Eid with our Muslim, Lohri with our Punjabi and
Christmas with our Christian friends. I’m well aware that caste and religion
are two different things, but one can get an idea how the so-called barriers
are opening.
However, celebrating festivals and eating lunch together is far from how
much change we need to bring. Eyebrows still frown when one talks about
inter-caste marriage. There is much hypocrisy here. One does not look at
the caste their dating partners, or maybe they don’t even care. They all
care, when marriage comes into play. It takes courage to fight against the
established norms of society, and is all that we millennials lack.
But are we really that bad?
Not really. We constantly discuss and argue. The government constantly
discusses and validates that the caste system is unfair. However, the lines
get less blurry when the government reinforces caste system, in the name
of positive discrimination under its reservation policy. Reservation creates
divide where the divide needs to be closed. I know, I know, Reservation is
a topic for another day, but my question is: Is it fair to expect from
millennials to treat their peer equally, who, let’s say got admission in a
premiere college at half the qualifying marks as he or she should have if
reservation did not exist?
Comments
Post a Comment